The companies below have been approached for their comments on the display of their adverts on disinformation websites.
Click on the image of the advert to view their response.
The following questions were sent to each of these entities, along with a screenshot showing the display of the advert:
- The driving force behind misinformation/fake news websites such as these are monetising the traffic it generates, mainly through advertising revenue. Your company is indirectly contributing towards this with the programmatic advertisements seen on the site. Would you consider this statement a fair summary? If not, please indicate an alternative.
- Who is responsible for your company’s marketing strategy? Do you make use of in-house or external talent to identify and implement these strategies?
- What is the mandate of your company’s marketing strategists mentioned in 2) above in respect of advertising on blacklisted websites? For example, how do you ensure that your brand is not associated with pornographic or illegal websites?
- Do you take similar precautions to ensure your brand is not associated with misinformation websites? If not, why not?
- Were you aware that your advertisements were being published on websites propagating false stories as news?
- Now that you are aware that your brand is advertising on misinformation websites, what steps do you intend taking to safeguard the integrity of your brand?
CORONATION FUND MANAGERS
JUST PROPERTY GROUP